For 25 years, Norwex has been redefining clean- reducing harmful chemicals in homes around the world and creating safe havens for all.
Norwex 360 Product Safety Review
We have our own In-House Product Safety and Regulatory Team that pioneered the Norwex 360 Product Safety Review: a robust ingredient and formula analysis that evaluates each ingredient, formula, and biodegradability.
We go beyond “no sulfates and no parabens” and never compromise when it comes to the quality and safety of our products. We meticulously develop our products based on extensive research and evidenced-based scientific facts, not opinions.
But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. We review absolutely every ingredient that goes into our formulas to ensure we never use any CMR substances – those that are known Carcinogenic, Mutagenic or toxic to Reproduction or known endocrine disrupters (EDCs).
Each ingredient and formula is reviewed for any toxicological potential, and we use the precautionary principle to guide this evaluation- this rules out many ingredients that have a high potential of harm. Each ingredient is also evaluated against these criteria
- Mutagenecity / Genotoxicity
- Systemic Toxicity
- Acute Aquatic Toxicity
- Eye and Skin Irritancy
- Acute Toxicity
- Specific Organ Toxicity
At this stage in the process, there are more than 2400 chemicals on this that Norwex will not use.
Global Regulatory Assessment
We then research each ingredient and formula against global regulatory agencies like Europe’s REACH, European Union Cosmetics Directive, US EPA, and OekoTex list. This helps to eliminate mutagens, known carcinogens, and reproductive toxins, including endocrine disrupters.
Each formula is also tested for impurities including heavy metals, 1,4 dioxane, ethylene oxide and acrylamides. We also test the biodegradability of each formula and are proud of the USDA Biobased certification we have on many products.
Finally, we conduct extensive independent clinical, consumer and safety studies through independent testing by 3rd party labs to ensure our products are both incredibly safe and incredibly effective.
These tests allow us to confidently say our products are absolutely clean- Norwex Clean. We never stop evaluating, researching and innovating to bring you products you can trust. It’s our mission and our passion.
Norwex No-No Ingredients
We never compromise when it comes to the quality and safety of our products. We meticulously develop our personal care and household products to be super clean and super effective.
How do we go so much further than simply restricting harmful ingredients from our products? We have our own In-House Product Safety and Regulatory Team trained in toxicology who pioneered the Norwex 360 Product Review: a robust ingredient and formula analysis.
Norwex Household “No-No” List
- 1, 4-Dioxane (< 1 ppm)
- Aerosol propellants
- Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
- Alkyl dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride
- Ammonia Benzalkonium chloride
- Borax or boric acid
- Chlorine Didecyldimethylammonium chloride
- Diethylene glycol mono-n-butyl ether
- Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether
- Diethylene glycol monomethyl ether
- Dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride
- Dipropylene glycol monomethyl ether
- Distearyldimonium chloride
- DMDM hydantoin
- Ethanolamines (mono-, di- and triethanolamine)
- Ethylene glycol
- Ethylene glycol mono-n-butyl ether
- Ethylene glycol monobutyl acetate
- Ethylene oxide (<1 ppm)
- Heavy metals
- Mineral oil
- Monoethanolamine citrate
- Nonylphenol ethoxylates (NPEs)
- Sodium hypochlorite
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Sulfuric acid
- Trisodium phosphate
Norwex Personal Care “No-No” List
- 1, 4-Dioxane
- Acrylates: (ethyl acrylate, ethyl methacrylate, methyl methacrylate, butyl methacrylate, hydroxypropyl methacrylate, tetrahydrofurfuryl, methacrylatetrimethylolpropane trimethacrylate, aluminum salts)
- Animal-derived ingredients (exception: beeswax)
- Benzalkonium chloride
- Benzethonium chloride
- Benzophenones (benzophenone, benzophenone-2, dioxybenzone, oxybenzone, sulisobenzone [benzophenone-4], 2,4-dihydroxybenzophenone)
- Butoxyethanol Bismuth oxychloride
- Bisphenol (bisphenol A, bisphenol F, bisphenol S)
- Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA)
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
- Chlorhexidine gluconate
- Coal tar and derivatives (including p-phenylenediamine)
- Cyclotrasiloxanes (D4, D5, D6), threshold limit <100 ppm
- Ethanolamines and their compounds (MEA/DEA/TEA)
- Ethylene oxide Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA)
- Fluorinated compounds (pentadecafluorooctanoic acid [PFOA], perfluorooctane
- sulfonate [PFOS], fluoropolymers used as processing aids)
- Formaldehyde donors (bronopol [2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol], diazolidinyl urea, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, quaternium-15, methenamine, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate)
- Gluten Heavy metals (antimony, arsenic, cadmium, chromium VI, cobalt, nickel)
- Hydroquinone Isothiazolinones (MIT, CMIT, BIT)
- Mercufenol chloride
- Musk and its compounds
- Nitrosamine (all)
- Parabens (specifically propyl-, isopropyl-, butyl-, isobutylparabens)
- Plastic microbeads
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
- Resorcinol Rubber latex (natural or synthetic)
- Sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach)
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- Solvents (benzene, carbon tetrachloride, 1,2-dichloroethane, 1,1-dichloroethane, 1,1,1-tricholorethane, 1-bromopropane, tetrachloroethylene [PERC], trichloroethylene, toluene)
- Undecoylium chloride iodine complex